Probiotic supplements are available in a number of different formats such as capsules, tablets, powders, and yogurts. The good bacteria used in probiotic supplements are created by using fermentation.. If you’re wondering how to choose probiotic supplements, the following will help you choose wisely.
Key Features To Look For:
- 7 to 12 strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria. Diversity is Key!
- Should always include a prebiotic such as Inulin
- Should contain at least 100 mg or more per serving
- Should have at least an “Acid Protection System” built in
- Preferably not a synthetic enteric coating system laden with phthalates
- All Probulin products use more than just acid protection.
- We use the patent pending MAKTrek® 3-D Probiotic Delivery System learn more
- More is not better when it comes to how to choose the best probiotic.
- Look for 5 to 10 billion CFU for daily use
- Look for 10 to 20 billion CFU for more focused use
- For International travel
- Overuse of certain medications
- Many other issues
- Always check the “Best By” or “Expiration Date”
Probiotic Supplements: Prioritizing Safety
One of the most important aspects of how to choose a probiotic supplement is safety. Just like any other supplement, you want to make sure this new addition to your regimen is going to provide health benefits, not challenges.
Simple tasks like checking the “Best By” and “Expiration Date” make a difference in the benefits available in your probiotic. Read labels to know whether the product you choose is shelf stable or must be kept in the fridge. Probiotics are sensitive to extreme heat and/or moisture. That’s why Probulin probiotic supplements always ship cold. Probiotics are also sensitive to the acid environment of your stomach, which is why our capsules employ MAKTrek 3-D Delivery System.
And as always, consult your healthcare provider if you’re at all uncertain about supplementation.
Understanding Colony Forming Units (CFUs)
A Colony Forming Unit, or CFU, is the standard unit of measurement for probiotic supplements.
If you’re wondering how to choose a probiotic supplement based on CFU count, here are a few things to keep in mind:
– More is not always better. While certain conditions may benefit from higher amounts, quality is always going to beat quantity.
– Our microbiome contains trillions of bacterial CFUs, so no need to be scared off by the billions in your bottle.
– Common probiotic supplements can range from 1 to 100 billion CFUs per serving. Probulin offers products in the range of 5 to 20 billion CFUs per serving. That allows us to focus on safe, efficacious, and natural ingredients.
How to Choose the Best Probiotic
Standing in a jam-packed supplement aisle, you can understand the frustration that comes with how to choose probiotic supplements. Remember to prioritize safe, natural ingredients, and don’t just reach for the highest CFU count.
All too often, brands will treat supplementation like a trend. You’ll see probiotics added to foods and drinks that are loaded with sugars, caffeine, and processed ingredients. In order to get the most out of supplementing with probiotics, make sure you’re choosing a product that puts safe, effective probiotics at the forefront of all they do, not as an afterthought.