Summer may be half way over, but we’re still taking full advantage of the beautiful sunshine! Not to mention, there are still plenty of delicious in-season fruits and veggies we can enjoy as we spend relaxing end-of-summer evenings patio-side. The one thing we can’t get enough of? Watermelon!
While this summer staple is absolutely delicious served as is after a hot summer day, there’s another way to enjoy watermelon that leans a little more savory and a little less sweet. Intrigued yet? Go ahead and let your neighbors know you’ve got a new dish you’d like to bring to Friday night’s cookout!
It turns out that juicy and sweet watermelon pairs really well with crisp and spicy components. (Don’t worry, we put it to the test). Not only are the flavors extremely tasty, but by incorporating a variety of veggies and herbs, you’re getting more nutrients from a single side dish!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this dish delicious:
*Note: Serves four as a side dish
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 avocado cubed
- ⅓ cup torn mint leaves
- Half or one jalapeno (depending on desired spice), thinly sliced
- Sea salt to taste
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, then set aside
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, and red onions to a bowl and drizzle with half the dressing
- Top with feta, avocado, mint, and jalapeno and drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this sweet and savory dish as much as we do! If supporting your overall health is important you, be sure to explore our line of Digestive Probiotics.
*This recipe is courtesy of loveandlemons.com. Our version has been modified slightly.