During the holiday season, it’s beneficial to take a moment and see how you’re feeling about your gut and digestive health. Is your digestive system still feeling the effects of Thanksgiving? If so, you’re not alone.
In the midst of the festivities, we often indulge in cookies and cocktails, feel holly and jolly without a care in the world, and sometimes forget that our gut wants to be happy, too. In fact, it needs certain nutrients to perform at its best, and to keep YOU at your best. Remember that 70% of your immune system resides in your gut!
As you look to better support your gut health, we’d like to share a healthy appetizer that you can offer to your friends and family, and still feel the holiday cheer (because it’s that good). It’s time to take a break from the hors d’oeuvres that don’t agree with your digestive system, and try these Sweet Potato Avocado Bites!
This recipe is vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and simple to make. Plus, it packs some pretty impressive health benefits:
Sweet Potatoes – Contain high amounts of fiber which are known for supporting the health of your digestive system. Oh, and they’re incredibly delicious!
Avocados – Abundant in nutrients like Vitamin C, K, B6, Potassium, and more. They’re also high in fiber.
Tomatoes – Great source of Vitamin C, Potassium, Folate, and Vitamin K.
Radish Sprouts – Help promote nutrient absorption and digestive health. They are high in Vitamin A and C.
To get started with these delicious and nutritious bites, here’s what you’ll need:
For the bites:
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes (thinly sliced about 1/4″ thick)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
For the spread:
- 1-2 large avocados, pitted
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
For the toppings:
- Cherry tomatoes (chopped in half or quartered)
- Radish sprouts (or any other type of sprout)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add sliced sweet potatoes, cumin, paprika, olive oil, and salt to bowl. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread potato slices out in one even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly crispy on the outside.
- Add avocado, lime juice, and salt to a bowl. Mash and mix until smooth.
- Place cooked sweet potato bites on serving tray. Top with avocado spread, chopped tomatoes, radish sprouts, or other toppings of your choice!
We hope you enjoy this recipe! For additional digestive support this holiday season, check out some of our best-selling probiotics.