Are you eating the most important meal of the day? If you’re human, chances are, you aren’t. Finding the time––and energy––to make yourself a nutritious breakfast every morning feels like a luxury just out of reach. Reaching for a muffin often seems like the easiest thing to do.
There’s a reason why they call breakfast the most important meal of the day. Your body needs the energy for whatever activities may lie ahead! Breakfast is also a great opportunity to start off the day with something friendly for your gut. The bacteria in your gut can do a lot to support your overall health. That works, however, only if you’re giving it foods rich in nutrients, not foods that are processed and high in sugar.
One of the simplest and most nutritious meals you can eat in the morning is oatmeal.
Oats are considered one of the healthiest grains on earth. They’re gluten free, high in protein and antioxidants, contain soluble fiber (which supports your digestive health), and are loaded with important vitamins and minerals like Magnesium, Iron, and Zinc. The list goes on.
The best part? Oatmeal can be quite delicious when prepared with the right toppings and ingredients, like this berry and nut butter oatmeal recipe! We hope you try it out.
Here’s what you’ll need: (yields 1 serving)
- Quick Oats (½ cup)
- Plant-based milk (we used almond) (1 cup)
- Cinnamon (a few dashes)
- Honey (1 tbsp)
- Nut butter (we used almond) (1-2 tbsp)
- Sliced almonds (a handful)
- Frozen berries
More Topping Options:
- Cacao Nibs or Dark Chocolate Chips (Make sure they’re low in sugar)
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
- Coconut Flakes (Unsweetened)
- Fresh berries
- Add oats, milk, and honey to a microwavable bowl and mix well. Microwave for two minutes
- Check bowl and stir, if oats still have not absorbed all the milk, microwave for another 30 seconds
- In a separate bowl, microwave frozen berries until warm, thawed, and juices form in bottom of bowl
- Add your thawed berries to oatmeal bowl and mix well
- Top oatmeal with nut butter, sliced almonds, a few dashes of cinnamon and other toppings you have on hand! (fresh berries, dark chocolate chips, chia seeds, etc.)
- Grab a spoon and enjoy. You’re ready to conquer your day!
Looking for more ways to support your gut health and live a healthier lifestyle? Check out our Digestive Probiotics! We combine premium quality probiotic bacteria with our scientifically formulated MAKTrek® 3-D Probiotic Delivery System to ensure your probiotics arrive alive in your gut. Together, a daily probiotic and a healthy breakfast are a great recipe for your wellness program.